"Adagio for Strings in B-Flat Minor" by Samuel Barber.

OK, girls and boys, back to the 30s: "America's semi-official music for mourning" was composed by this West Chester, PA native in 1936. It is an orchestral string arrangement of the 2nd movement of his String Quartet, Op. 11 and represents the composer's best-known work. A graduate of The Curtis Institute of Music in Philly, he is recognized as one of the most celebrated composers of the 20th century. The piece has earned a permanent place in today's orchestral concert repertoire. In 1936, the U.S. was still hurting from The Great Depression and Europe was headed for war, which partially explains it being "full of pathos and cathartic passion" and the fact that it "rarely leaves a dry eye". First played and recorded in 1938 by The NBC Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Maestro Arturo Toscanini. It was one of the very few American compositions played in the USSR during the Cold War. Billy Joel is quoted as saying that this piece made him want to become a composer. It was played during the radio broadcast announcing FDR's death in 1945, during Einstein's funeral in 1955, during JFK's funeral in 1963 (one of his favorite pieces) and during Princess Grace's funeral in 1982. Also played at Royal Albert Hall in honor of the 9/11 victims. Part of "The Elephant Man" (1980) and "Platoon" (1986) soundtracks. It is also a permanent part of Tiƫsto's repertoire. Composer? Piece? Answer: "Adagio for Strings in B-Flat Minor" by Samuel Barber. As many times as I've heard it, I still get choked up every time I do (you know me, I'm a sensitive guy!). The world-renowned Curtis Institute was just up the street from my med school and my frat house at 17th and Locust on Rittenhouse Square in Philly. I've always admired anyone who can read music - one of my biggest regrets is never learning how to. Fortunately, I was given a good "musical ear" (a family trait from my dad's side) and I've been playing guitar "by ear" since I was 8. I remember seeing the Curtis students during our walks on Rittenhouse Square and thinking to myself how lucky they were. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uzqBOOM_s0&list=RD6uzqBOOM_s0&start_radio=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"All I Want Is You" ("The Little Farmer") from the Lay's 2025 Super Bowl commercial. (Posted on FB 6/24/25).

"Goldfinger" theme - Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

"Where Do You Work A-John?" aka "The Delaware-Lackawan Song".