"Chega de Saudade".

OK, girls and boys, back to the 50s: This 1957 Brazilian composition is widely considered to be the first bossa nova. It was originally recorded that same year by Elizeth Cardoso to a tepid reception. Guitarist extraordinaire João Gilberto's 1958 rendition was a massive international hit for him and, singlehandedly, created the genre. The title translates directly as "enough longing" but is best known in English as "No More Blues". Grammy Hall of Fame 2000. Song? For extra credit, name the two composers. Answer: "Chega de Saudade". Composed by Antônio Carlos "Tom" Jobim with lyrics by Vinícius de Moraes. When we visit our dear daughter Gina and her beautiful family in California, I have thoroughly enjoyed having Alexa play bossa nova nonstop both at home and in the car. Myla and Finley are growing up being exposed to great music, just like I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0a0QuLEC8A&list=RDY0a0QuLEC8A&start_radio=1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrIlzQa4FA&list=RD_jrIlzQa4FA&start_radio=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"All I Want Is You" ("The Little Farmer") from the Lay's 2025 Super Bowl commercial. (Posted on FB 6/24/25).

"Goldfinger" theme - Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

"Where Do You Work A-John?" aka "The Delaware-Lackawan Song".