"What Kind of Fool Am I?".

OK, girls and boys, back to the 60s: Brits Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley co-wrote this popular introspective ballad for their 1961/62 musical "Stop the World: I Want to Get Off" as its closing number. Newley starred in the production and first recorded it. By the time it made it from the London to the New York stages, Tony Bennett had already cut it for one of his albums. It won the 1963 Grammy for Song of the Year. Sammy Davis, Jr. took it to #17 on Billboard's Hot 100 and to #6 on Easy Listening in '62. Memorable covers by Andy Williams, Shirley Bassey, Lesley Gore, Perry Como, Robert Goulet and, of course, my main man Bobby Darin. Song? Answer: "What Kind of Fool Am I?". I was 10 when it came out and my Dad loved it - he used to sing it and play on guitar as well as on the ol' hi-fi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BGL-a_FrHk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcHyCdvBnIU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Surf City" by Jan and Dean.

"In The Summertime" by Mungo Jerry.

Jamaica Farewell by Harry Belafonte.