"My Guy" by Mary Wells.

OK, girls and boys, more 60s: This '64 Smokey Robinson composition was the biggest hit and signature song for a 19-year-old Detroit native who became Motown's first female star. It was also her last release on the Motown label. Background vocals by The Andantes. Topped the Pop and R&B charts and broke The Beatles' famous Top 5 monopoly in '64. A girl's total commitment to her man. Inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame in '99. Song? Artist? Answer: "My Guy" by Mary Wells. Smokey Robinson, "America's poet laureate of love"! He could certainly write from any perspective. "The Tracks of My Tears" (1965), "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" (1962), "The Tears of a Clown" (1967), the list goes on and on...! Smokey also co-wrote The Temptations' "My Girl" with Ronald White, "My Guy"'s female counterpart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WT7nBGX5eU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Surf City" by Jan and Dean.

Carrickfergus.

Greenfields by The Brothers Four