"Dialogue (Part I & II)" by Chicago.

OK, girls and boys, back to the 70s: Keyboardist Robert Lamm penned this 1972 politically-charged pop/rock classic for his band Chicago. Originally released as a 7-minute cut in the "Chicago V" album and later on edited as a single reaching #17 in Cashbox and #24 on Billboard. Two young men with diferring philosophies having a conversation on the state of affairs in the U.S. and the world - prominently the Vietnam War and the faltering economy, among others. Master guitarist Terry Kath voices a politically-informed and concerned person while bassist Peter Cetera plays a naive and uninterested college student. Fascinating simultaneous interplay between Kath's intricate wah-wah guitar and Cetera's complex bass line. The second half of the song offers cautious optimism for the future, calling for action to make things better. The chorus ends abruptly, allowing listeners to make up their own minds. Answer: "Dialogue (Part I & II) by Chicago. How in the world do you pick your favorite Chicago song?! So many to choose from! The first time I heard Chicago (Transit Authority) was "Questions 67 & 68" in 1970 on the car radio on my way to school during my senior year in high school. I was blown away by Terry Kath's guitar and by that brass - I had never heard anything like it before! Jimi Hendrix was quoted as saying that Kath was "the best guitarist in the universe". His soulful vocal style was heavily influenced by Ray Charles. He was plagued by health and drug problems and, unfortunately, we lost him too early to a non-intentional self-inflicted gunshot wound in '78. I was fortunate enough to have seen Chicago in '73 during my freshman med school year in Philly at The Spectrum with their original lineup. I had never heard "Dialogue (Part I & II) until then but seeing and hearing Terry and Peter perform it, especially singing lead vocals while simultaneously playing their respective intricate instrumental parts, it immediately became my favorite Chicago song and it remains so until now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWODczdgGDQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Surf City" by Jan and Dean.

Carrickfergus.

Greenfields by The Brothers Four